Flint families can get nutritious food at mobile pantry in August
LANSING, Mich. – Flint families may get nutritious food that can limit the effects of lead exposure during mobile food pantry hours set for August at locations throughout Flint.
The Food Bank of Eastern Michigan in Flint and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services are announcing the upcoming schedule for mobile food pantry stops to distribute foods rich in calcium, vitamin C and iron.
Families receive shelf-stable items that include tuna, baked beans, mandarin oranges, cereal, tomatoes and more. Farm fresh produce in August will be sweet corn, yellow squash, watermelon, peppers, eggplant, carrots, kale, cucumbers, zucchini and green beans.
The program is funded through the more than $249 million in state taxpayer funds that have been provided to help the residents of Flint.
Food distribution sites remain open while supplies last. Upcoming dates are:
- Tuesday, Aug. 8, at noon – St. Michael Catholic Church, 609 E. Fifth Ave.
- Friday, Aug. 11, at 10 a.m. – Flint Muslim Food Pantry, 4400 S. Saginaw St.
- Saturday, Aug. 12, at 10 a.m. – Calvary United Methodist Church, 2111 Flushing Rd.
- Saturday, Aug. 12, at 11 a.m. – Church Without Walls, 4121 Martin Luther King. Ave.
- Wednesday, Aug. 16, at 10 a.m. – Hispanic Tech Center, 2101 Lewis St.
- Thursday, Aug. 17, at noon – United Methodist Community Center, 4601 Clio Road.
- Thursday, Aug. 17, at noon – Salem Lutheran Church, 2610 Martin Luther King Ave.
- Friday, Aug. 18, at noon – St. Luke’s NEW Life Center, 3115 Lawndale Ave.
- Saturday, Aug. 19, at 11 a.m. – Higher Quality of Life, 5601 N. Saginaw St.
- Tuesday, Aug. 22, at noon – St. Michael Catholic Church, 609 E. Fifth Ave.
- Thursday, Aug. 24, at 10 a.m. – Metropolitan Baptist Tabernacle, 930 E. Myrtle Ave.
- Friday, Aug. 25, at 10 a.m. – My Brother’s Keeper, 101 N. Grand Traverse St.
- Saturday, Aug. 26, at 11 a.m. – Flint First Wesleyan, 3825 Davison Road.
- Tuesday, Aug. 29, at 1 p.m. – New Birth Church, 3918 Blackington Ave.
- Wednesday, Aug. 30, at 11 a.m. – Richfield Academy, 3807 N. Center Road.
Information about additional food distribution dates will be announced as they are scheduled. For more information, visit the Food Bank website at www.FBEM.org or call 810-239-4441.