Bishop T.D. Jakes has earned a reputation for being one of the most prolific, dynamic and gifted preachers of our day and if you’re looking to find out how he does it, he shares his steps in his best-selling book, Destiny: Step Into Your Purpose.
Bishop Jakes says, “A message on Sunday morning doesn’t start in the pews and it doesn’t start on Saturday night, It starts with respecting God’s word and loving God’s word, and doing your best with the gifts you’ve been given to be excellent at what He called you to do. It’s how I give service to Him.”
Here are the four pointers:
1. Study yourself full: Jakes believes that you must feast on the word of God first and receive enough from its pages personally before you can feed a congregation. “If you don’t study yourself full, you’re not good. You’re not ready to deliver,” he says.
2. Think yourself clear: Asking and answering your own questions about the text, and ensuring you first have clarity of thought is critical, notes the head of the 30,000-member congregation. “If you don’t think yourself clear, you’ve got a lot of facts, but they’re discombobulated, so thinking yourself clear is very, very important,” he says.
3. Pray yourself hot: This has everything to do with seeking God to give you a burning on the inside—a passion—for His word, so you can see its relevancy to your life and connect with your audience. “If you’re not passionate about it, it’s irrelevant,” Bishop states.
4. Let yourself go: When time comes to minister, the charismatic preacher advises preachers and Bible teachers to shake off nerves, loosen up, and give over to the moment. Otherwise, you won’t be able to effectively teach the word of God. “If you’re going to get up and be inhibited, you can’t deliver,” Jakes says.
Jakes warns that, “If you miss any one of those four you’re going to be in trouble.” See more in a video recently posted on his Bishop’s Village website.
HelloBeautiful Presents Women To Know, Class Of 2017: The Comeback Queens
1. Maxine WatersSource:Getty 1 of 22
2. Soledad O'BrienSource:Getty 2 of 22
3. Michelle Gadsden-WilliamsSource:. 3 of 22
4. Warsan ShireSource:Instagram 4 of 22
5. Jamira BurleySource:Getty 5 of 22
6. Lisa Nicole CarsonSource:Getty 6 of 22
7. Nadia LopezSource:Getty 7 of 22
8. Blair ImaniSource:Instagram 8 of 22
9. Angela BentonSource:Instagram 9 of 22
10. Timea GainesSource:Instagram 10 of 22
11. Draya MicheleSource:Getty 11 of 22
12. Miko BranchSource:Getty 12 of 22
13. Regina KingSource:Getty 13 of 22
14. Gabourey SidibeSource:Getty 14 of 22
15. April RyanSource:Getty 15 of 22
16. Roxanne ShanteSource:Getty 16 of 22
17. Fantasia BarrinoSource:Getty 17 of 22
18. Savannah MaziyaSource:. 18 of 22
19. CiaraSource:Getty 19 of 22
20. Ricki FairleySource:Courtesy of Ricki Fairley 20 of 22
21. Terrie WilliamsSource:Getty 21 of 22
22. Monica CostSource:Instagram 22 of 22
Text “Praise” To 24042 for your chance at ticket giveaways and inspirational news before anyone else!…Standard Messaging Rates Apply
LIKE Praise 102.7 On Facebook To Keep Up With your favorite Gospel Artists!