Oprah Winfrey is owning up to the off-screen drama she foresees from her drama series “Greenleaf,” preempting inevitable backlash a month ahead of its debut. (via: blackchristiannews.com)
Dubbed “‘Dynasty’ in a church’” by one TV reporter and inevitable comparisons to “Empire,” the OWN TV drama focuses on a sprawling, uber-wealthy, scandal-suppressing, unfaithful, feuding family that runs a corporate mega-church in Memphis, Tennessee.
When asked about the comparison to the 80s cult soap opera at an advance screening of the first episode for industry and media at Soho House in West Hollywood Wednesday night, Winfrey had three words. “We’ll take it.”
But, there’s one man Winfrey does not want seeing himself reflected in the picture: Bishop T.D. Jakes.
The lead character in the show, a villainous patriarch who presides over servant-hosted dinner parties like “Downton Abbey’s” Lord Grantham, is named Bishop James Greenleaf. Meanwhile, the real-life media-savvy Jakes runs a 30,000-member megachurch in Dallas, Texas.
“The only resemblance is that our main character is named ‘Bishop’ and your name is ‘Bishop,’” Winfrey recalled assuring Jakes on a preemptive phone call.
“From my lips to your ears, ‘I, Oprah Winfrey, am not going to do anything that disrespects the church,” Winfrey says she told the pastor. “I am sitting where I am today because of the black church.”
14 Amazing Photos Of Oprah Winfrey’s Hair Over The Years
1. The classic ’70s layered look.Source:Getty 1 of 14
2. The bigger her career got, the bigger her hair.Source:Getty 2 of 14
3. ’80s kween tresses.Source:Getty 3 of 14
4. She brought the ’90s in with style…and fringe.Source:Getty 4 of 14
5. Boss bangs and buoyancy.Source:Getty 5 of 14
6. Looks like Oprah rocked the chic bowl cut before RiRi became known for it.Source:Getty 6 of 14
7. Layered and luminous.Source:Getty 7 of 14
8. Queen O’s hair is full of life.Source:Getty 8 of 14
9. Tamed golden curls are her go-to look.Source:getty 9 of 14
10. This elegant curly updo works for Oprah, the actress.Source:Getty 10 of 14
11. Nothing’s better than having a little bounce in your curl. A lot in Oprah’s case.Source:Getty 11 of 14
12. The media mogul’s ‘fro is on fleek.Source:Getty 12 of 14
13. Locks fit for a Queen.Source:Getty 13 of 14
14. Her straightened push-back is laid to the gods.Source:Getty 14 of 14
Text “Praise” To 24042 for your chance at ticket giveaways and inspirational news before anyone else!…Standard Messaging Rates Apply
LIKE Praise 102.7 On Facebook To Keep Up With your favorite Gospel Artists!