If you’re looking for a great way to “Pass it Forward” this holiday season, I’ve found a really great and inexpensive (or free) idea… the gift of books! I received this fantastic idea from one of my dearest friends, Dr. Kenya Ayers. Dr. Ayers is a native Detroiter now living in Chicago, but was inspired to do a book drive for the kids living at Peggy’s Place. She told me what inspired her to do so, and how you can help!
Click the picture to hear the interview
- A transitional residential facility for 23 women and their children run by the Coalition on Temporary Shelter (COTS)
- Homeless families with children and/or domestic violence survivors and their children.
- 61 children and their 23 mothers
Donate New or Gently Used Children’s Books
Now through December 21, 2012
- “On any given day, there are 1.6 million homeless children in the US. Many of these children end up in homeless shelters — often times anxious, worried and sad.
- Many of these children have never had access to books to read for fun.
- Studies show that in middle-income neighborhoods the ratio of books to children is 13 to one.
- Yet in low-income neighborhoods, the ratio is 1 book for every 300 children.
- Other studies show that 75% of homeless children drop out of school, 36% repeat a grade, and only 43% pass standardized tests for reading proficiency.”
- To the extent that we can connect children at Peggy’s Place to a love of learning through reading, we expose them to doors that will potentially bring avenues of opportunity for generations within their families for years to come.
Drop Off Location:
16630 Wyoming Avenue
Drop Off Times:
10 AM – 3 PM
Please Call First!!! 313-862-3234
Text “Praise” To 77000 To have the first chance at ticket giveaways and inspirational news!…Standard Messaging Rates Apply
LIKE Praise 102.7 On Facebook To Keep Up With Your Fave Gospel Artists!
Follow Praise 102.7 on twitter and Instagram @praisedetroit